Take Heed! Don’t Make, Answer Calls In The Bathroom Or When Eating… Find Out Why!
Are you one of those who make and receive phone calls while eating or during your time in the bathroom? After reading this, you’ll surely change your mind.
At least eight out of 10 persons answer their calls in the bathroom; while a larger percentage of us make or answer our calls while eating.
The average phone user doesn’t see any qualms either placing or answering calls in the bathroom or when eating for that matter.
Such is the liberty that we have with mobile phones, unlike what obtained with the analogue phones that had to be stationed in a permanent place.
However, doctors warn that you are making yourself sick by using your phone in the bathroom and also when eating!
Why? These are the reasons…
• Dangerous bacteria can attach to your phone and spread to other people as well.
• A study conducted in 2016 found that you’re risking your health by taking your device with you into the bathroom.
• There are water and air particles that harbour in the little creases of the phone. And phone covers and cases are usually made out of rubber, which is a warm and comfortable harbouring ground for bacteria.
• This bacteria include salmonella, E.coli, shigella and campylobacter, according to WebMD, all of which can make you very sick.
• You’re also at risk of spreading viruses like gastroenteritis (infectious diarrhoea) and Staphylococcus aureus, which can be easily transmitted from solid surfaces like your phone.
• So, never ever take your phone to the bathroom, especially public ones.
• Even if you’re not using your phone on the toilet, you’re still holding it while you’re going in and out of the bathroom, and that’s enough to put bacteria on the phone when you haven’t yet washed your hands.
• Given that many people also use their phone when eating, many infections can be transmitted by mouth.
• This also increases the risk factor of getting sick from bacteria on your phone.
So, what can you do to try and mitigate this risk of spreading infections and getting sick?
• First, don’t take your phone into the bathroom at all, and try not to use it when eating.
• Disinfecting your phone regularly is also a good idea, especially if you’ve been using it in the bathroom.
• Specific sprays can be bought to clean touchscreens, and a screen protector can help too.
• Wash your hands regularly, especially when leaving the bathroom or touching anyone else’s smartphone.